[syslog-ng] Oracle logging into syslog-ng?

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 8 10:28:22 CEST 2008

Hi Jim,

Alternatively you could have Oracle write to a standard
alert_instance.log file and then have that followed and inserted into
syslog-ng. There are 2 ways to do this:

1. You could use syslog-ng's ability to follow the individual instance
alert log files and then prefix all input from each file with an
instance name like Oracle_Instance1, Oracle_Instance2...
2. You could write a script to follow the individual alert log files and
input to syslog with whatever priority/facility you like and still have
every input tagged like program_instance: message before it even enters
syslog. This is what I did for Oracle 9i/10g instances I have since I
think that 9i doesn't have syslog capabilities... (although I could be
wrong on that)

-h

--
Hari Sekhon