[syslog-ng] syslog-ng refuses to open/write destination file

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Wed Nov 12 22:30:12 CET 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 10:08 -0600, Peck, Jonathan wrote:
> Thanks for the quick response….
>

> Syslog-ng is running as root. It does have permission to hit the
> share, as I can create, modify etc data on that share as root on the
> local client.

Hmm.. this sounds like a problem with your SELinux/AppArmor policy. Can
you check the logfiles for a hint?

If it's not SELinux, you could perhaps run syslog-ng under strace and
check the return code for the open() call. It most probably is EPERM, in
which case it is not syslog-ng to blame, but some kind of local security
setup.