[syslog-ng] fails if dns error resolve hostname destination forwarding

JV nycfresh at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 21:23:25 CET 2008

Tried searching in google and the mailing archives...

I'm on syslog-ng-2.0.9 and it refuses to start if i have a filter like

filter f_11 {         level(info..emerg); };
destination d_8 {    udp("sysremote" port(514));  };
log { source(s_sys); filter(f_11); destination(d_8); };

and sysremote is not resolvable via my DNS or /etc/hosts

You'd think syslog-ng-2.0.9 would continue to run and do the other filters which is to log locally instead of refusing to run at all. Thats how the builtin syslog works i believe.

This limits our ability to swap out replace syslog with syslog-ng since local logging should not fail just because dns is unreachable ?

Am I missing something. Thanks in advance.