[syslog-ng] syslog-ng refuses to open/write destination file

Peck, Jonathan Jonathan.Peck at firstdata.com
Mon Nov 10 16:56:44 CET 2008

Hello...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have configured syslog-ng to
add a custom application filter and log destination. Let me preface all
works when I configure the destination to be in /var/log. However, due
to operational needs the file needs to be written off to a directory in
/usr/local/ssl/<application location>.

Here's the tricky part. The /usr/local/ssl/<application> is actually
being exported by a NFS server as a share. I thought perhaps that was
the issue as I do see a "cannot open file for writing, permission
denied" vomited by syslog-ng  and stamped when I kick start the
application. I checked the permissions on directory and the log file.
They are all good. I am able to touch, create, destroy, move, copy etc
data on that directory. It only appears syslog-ng is having the trouble.
What makes it more goofy is when I manipulate how I kick start the app
(via shell or daemon) sometimes I see the permission error sometimes I
do not. Ultimately syslog-ng still just stamps everything to 'messages'.

Question, does syslog-ng have a configuration for writing off your
destination file to an NFS share? I've never had this problem appear
before. Perhaps someone has some experience to lend a hand? Appreciate
it in advance!

Cheers - Jonathan

The information in this message may be proprietary and/or
confidential, and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this
received this communication in error, please notify First Data
immediately by replying to this message and deleting it from your
computer.