[syslog-ng] TAG-Macro

JUNG, Christian christian.jung at saarstahl.com
Mon Mar 17 14:13:46 CET 2008

Hello,

we've been using the old BSD-implementation of syslogd on linux for quite a while and want to migrate to Syslog NG now.

We've got the problem, that the priority/facility-encoding of the $TAG macro isn't the same as running syslogd with option -S. Here an excerpt of syslogd's man-page:

---8<---
The priority/facility code takes the form of a priority number followed by a letter that indicates the facility. The priority number can range from 0 to 7. The facility letter can range from 'A' to 'Y', where 'A' corresponds to facility number zero (LOG_KERN), 'B' corresponds to facility 1 (LOG_USER), etc. See /usr/include/sys/syslog.h for a list of priority and LOG_xxx codes.

Example:

    Jun 27 19:22:20 5Q:silence test[1966]: testing

The above message contains a priority/facility code of '5Q', which breaks down to a priority of 5 (LOG_NOTICE) and a facility of 16 (LOG_LOCAL0).
---8<---

I'd like to add this functionality to syslog-ng because this encoding is more suitable for log-analysis etc. as the hexadecimal format. Should I use a different macro-name (if yes: which?) or should I modify the TAG part in macro.c?

bye
Chris

--
phone: +49 6898/10-4987