[syslog-ng] Parallel Use of syslog-ng with syslogd (Linux RH ES4)

Fegan, Joe Joe.Fegan at hp.com
Tue Mar 4 15:23:43 CET 2008

> are there supplied hooks to routines equivalent to syslog(3) in the C library?

syslog-ng can function as a drop-in replacement for syslogd, applications will not notice anything has changed. When an application uses the system call syslog() on Linux all that really happens is that the message is sent to the socket /dev/log. It is assumed that some daemon is listening and writing down whatever it hears. Normally the listener is syslogd but you can replace it with any other listener (e.g. syslog-ng) and the calling application will have no idea that anything has changed.