[syslog-ng] problem in remote logging

Geller, Sandor (IT) Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com
Fri Jun 27 08:49:16 CEST 2008

Hi,

> I am facing problem in remote logging though is working very
> fine locally.
>
> please advise me what to do and where I am missing something.
> the details I am giving below.
>
> I have one target linux system (set top box) and one host
> Linux Desktop Machine. the syslogd and logging working fine
> on both target as well as on PC(host) machine individually .
>
> I have scenario,
> I have to run program on target machine. And I have to
> collect the log on PC(host) console as well as in some file
> say /tmp/log.
>
> I have started $syslogd -r on both the machines. the
> syslog.conf file on the machines are like this.
>
> target     >>       syslong.conf
> local0.*                  @ip.address (PC-Host machine)
>

> PC(host)     >>  syslog.conf
> local0.err              /dev/console
> local0.*                /tmp/log
>
> in process list syslogd shows like "syslogd -r"
> I have already run many times $ kill -SIGHUP
> /var/run/syslog.pid  on both machine.
>
> even though it is not working

Although this is quite unrelated to syslog-ng I'd like to help.

My first guess is that your program doesn't log using the local0
facility.

You should run it under strace/ truss and check which facility
it is using. When it writes to /dev/log then there is the
facility/priority shown as a decimal number enclosed within
angle brackets. Divide the number with 8, the result is the
facility. You can look up the codes in /usr/include/syslog.h
(or /usr/include/sys/syslog.h) and adjust syslog.conf if needed.

Regards,

Sandor