[syslog-ng] How to skip parsing?

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Mon Jun 9 14:14:49 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 15:39 -0700, Clay Loveless wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2008, at 12:38 AM, Balazs Scheidler wrote:
>
> > flags(no-parse) for the given source.
>

> Thank you! One more question regarding source options -- I'm using a
> pipe source, and would like to make it optional, however the
> optional(yes) parameter seems to be considered a syntax error.
>
> Here's the entry:
>
> source test {
>      pipe("/tmp/test_fifo" optional(yes) flags(no-parse)
> log_msg_size(1024));
> };
>
> I'm I doing this incorrectly?

syslog-ng does not currently support optional pipes. The reason is that
optional files are implemented using the same infrastructure that allows
to tail files. (e.g. checking the file size every second)

As pipes don't need to be followed, optional is not supported for them.

It is not a big issue to implement, but it has not been done yet.