[syslog-ng] How many host by relay?

Geller, Sandor (IT) Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com
Thu Jun 5 11:24:15 CEST 2008

Hi,

> I would like to know how many hosts can be relayed by a
> syslog-ng relay with the 1.6.8 version of syslog-ng.
> For the moment I use a relay for 200 hosts but at least I
> will collect logs of 3000 hosts.
> How many relay do you think I will need?
> Thank for your help.

There is no exact answer to this question. The logging activity
is what should be taken into account. How much traffic do you
expect?

Will the network be the bottleneck, or the NIC, the processing
power of a single CPU (syslog-ng is single-threaded), etc.?

The estimated number of relays depends on a few factors which
are known only by you.

Regards,

Sandor