[syslog-ng] Using regexp in match()

Jan Kreps krepsj at seznam.cz
Tue Jul 22 09:45:17 CEST 2008

> Od: Jan Kreps <krepsj at seznam.cz>
> Předmět: Re: [syslog-ng] Using regexp in match()
> Datum: 10.7.2008 10:29:35
>
> > > I'm trying to setup central syslog-ng server for my Exchange servers. On
> > windows servers I use Epilog agent (brother of Snare) forwarding tracking
> > logs to central syslog.

> Obviously I have used bad regexp. Exchange tracking log uses tabs as delimiters.
> But when I saved $MSG string to text log, tabs was changed to '\011'.
>
> So now I changed my regexp to use tabs as delimiters:
>
> filter f_parsing {
>   match("([^\t]*)\t([^\t]*)\t");
> };
>
> This works like charm and saves first two tab delimited fields (date and time in
> this case) to $1 and $2.

Some more remarks to subject.

Syslog-ng Administrator guide 1.1.1 Edition from May 2008 says on page 111:

"The regular expressions can use up to 255 regexp matches ($1 ... $255)."

and on page 112:

"Regarding braces around macro names, the following two formats are equivalent "$MSG" and "${MSG}"."

Fact is that for regexp matches greater than 9 it MUST be in ${} format. If you use for instance $12 it resolves as content of $1 + character '2'. I found that I have to use ${} syntax in ChangeLog remark for patch 137. I guess that should be stated in Admin Guide more clearly. In this respect, statement "The regular expressions can use up to 255 regexp matches ($1 ... $255)" is not true and should be corrected.

And I have one question about file creation.

When something is logged a file is created according to destination(). But when I delete the file, it's not created anymore, until restart of syslog-ng. Is that correct/expected behaviour?

I run Debian Etch and syslog-ng 2.0.9-1 from unstable branch (in stable is still version 2.0.0)

Greets Jan