[syslog-ng] syslog-ng does not resume log when disk is full at

Andrej Lobovski drejc83 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 21 11:31:55 CET 2008

Thank you for quick answer, but unfortunately restarting syslog-ng is not an option.

> Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:44:49 +0000
> From: ac56 at soas.ac.uk
> To: syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu
> Subject: Re: [syslog-ng] syslog-ng does not resume log when disk is full at
>
> Andrej Lobovski <drejc83 at hotmail.com> [20080221 10:23:41 +0100]:
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > I have a problem, with syslog-ng 2.0.0-1etch1 on debian 4. It is like this:
> >
> ...eugh, maybe time to update.  A large number of bugfixes have been made
> since then; particular the nasty memory leak issue[1].  Moving onto to 2.0.8
> is dead easy with Debian, download the source and type 'debuild'; you then
> get yourself a package in the parent directory.

I'll try this.

> > - syslog-ng fills /var/log/syslog with messages
> > - then /var partition becomes full and I get "No space left on device (28)" error written in /var/log/syslog (tail -f on this file), which is expected
> > - then I make some disk space available  on /var partition, BUT syslog-ng does not resume writing in /var/log/syslog at all
> >
> > Am I missing any options in /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf ?
> >
> When a filesystem fills up it's pretty normal to expect the worst and you
> should restart syslog-ng.  My personal opinion is that if a disk full error
> fires up then an application should not be trying to add to the problem;
> how's that application to know 'enough' disk space has been freed up?

Well the same way that it produces a "no space left on device error (28)" and then retrying, let's say every 60 seconds, untill this error is gone.

Can someone point me to this line or chunk of code, where I could add this? Ofcourse when I'm done with this error handling I will release my code for everyone to use.

Thank you!

Andrej