[syslog-ng] syslog-ng does not resume log when disk is full at

Alexander Clouter ac56 at soas.ac.uk
Thu Feb 21 10:44:49 CET 2008

Andrej Lobovski <drejc83 at hotmail.com> [20080221 10:23:41 +0100]:

> Hi.
>
> I have a problem, with syslog-ng 2.0.0-1etch1 on debian 4. It is like this:

...eugh, maybe time to update.  A large number of bugfixes have been made
since then; particular the nasty memory leak issue[1].  Moving onto to 2.0.8
is dead easy with Debian, download the source and type 'debuild'; you then
get yourself a package in the parent directory.

> - syslog-ng fills /var/log/syslog with messages
> - then /var partition becomes full and I get "No space left on device (28)" error written in /var/log/syslog (tail -f on this file), which is expected
> - then I make some disk space available  on /var partition, BUT syslog-ng does not resume writing in /var/log/syslog at all
>
> Am I missing any options in /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf ?

When a filesystem fills up it's pretty normal to expect the worst and you
should restart syslog-ng.  My personal opinion is that if a disk full error
fires up then an application should not be trying to add to the problem;
how's that application to know 'enough' disk space has been freed up?

Just restart the syslog-ng process and configure SNMP on the box and produce
some graphs; it will keep manglement happy at least :)

Cheers

Alex

[1] https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng/2008-February/011335.html