[syslog-ng] newbie

McGranahan, Jamen jamen.mcgranahan at Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed Dec 10 21:13:05 CET 2008

Ok, I guess I'm just too used to the Windows environment that I'm having
a hard time adjusting to command line interfaces. Here's the deal: I
need to get syslog-ng running on my server. I think I have it installed,
downloading the file from sunfreeware.com, putting the file in the
/var/spool/pkg directory (file = syslogng-2.0.9-sol10-sparc-local.gz). I
then used the pkgadd -d command to install it, which seemed to be fine.
But where do I go from here? Has it started or do I need to manually
start it? I'm also looking for a syslog-ng.conf file in order to modify
it - I'm using this to push log data to another server, and according to
the central logging program we are using, I need to modify this file
like this:
options {
use_fqdn(yes);
log_fifo_size(8192);
};
source local {
file("/var/log/messages");
udp(ip(127.0.0.1) port(514));
internal();
};
filter notdebug {
level(info...emerg);
}
destination loghost {
tcp("name.of.yoursplunkserver" port (9514));
};
log {
source(local);
filter(notdebug);
destination(loghost);
};

Any advice/or guidance is greatly appreciated. I know the more I use
these Unix boxes, the more I'll learn...

Jamen McGranahan
Systems Services Librarian
Vanderbilt University
419 21st Avenue South