[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 2 nics

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu Aug 21 14:30:48 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 10:05 +0200, Hubert Kupper wrote:
> Hi,
> we run a SLES10 SP2 server as a syslog-ng server for a couple of month without errors. Now I added a secondary nic in the server an binded a subnet to the nic. The first switch from this subnet logs to syslog-ng fine, but every switch else in this subnet don't create a log-directory on the server. I've run ethereal an see that all switches send their packets to port 514 on the server, but syslog-ng do nothing with this packets. What can be wrong?

Have you checked that:
  * syslog-ng is bound to the new interface (either because of a 0.0.0.0
bind, or because you have two udp() sources each bound to their
respective interface)
  * packet filter does not filter out these messages

You can check the first by issuing "netstat -np  | grep 514" and check
which interfaces syslog-ng has bound to.

The second, well check that your packet filter is not in the way.