[syslog-ng] Hostname instead of FQDN in logs

Delphine D delphined_1300 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 7 10:53:54 CEST 2007

>You can tell syslog-ng to use the either the reverse domain name or the
>name included in the syslog record (check the docs for what the macros
>are).  You almost certainly are using the name included in the syslog
>record.

Could you please explain a little bit what these macros are ?
Is it something I need to modify/configure in the syslog-ng.conf file on
server1 ?

>What does `hostname` return on the debian box?  My guess is that the
>hostname is set to 'server1' without the ourdomain.be

Yes, indeed, hostname returns 'server1'.

>the others are all set to a fqdn

The others also return the hostname and not the FQDN (Ex : 'server2' and not
'server2.ourdomain.be') but they are using syslog instead of syslog-ng...
That's the only difference...

Thanks,

Delphine