[syslog-ng] glibc 2.0.6

Raffaele raffaele at unipr.it
Tue Oct 23 18:44:42 CEST 2007

Evan Rempel wrote:
> Raffaele wrote:
>> Geller, Sandor (IT) wrote:
>>> Hello,

>>> glib != glibc. Install the glib2-devel package and pkgconfig as it
>>> seems your system doesn't have these.
>> Sorry guys, I'm the least skillful here :(
>> I'm trying with 1.6.12 version to see if it's easier.
>
> I think that you will find it more difficult to use version 1.6.x. Also, the 2.x series
> is the only one that will continue to be developed.
>
> Let's see if I can add a little less "skilled" instruction.
>
> First, lets look at glibc where you have listed
>
> glibc-2.3.2-88
> glibc-devel-2.3.2-87
>
> There are two with the same version of 2.3.2 (the -xx is a packaging revision number).
>
> The first is the runable component that is used by applicaton when you run then.
> The second (the -devel) is needed only if you are compiling/building applications that use glibc.
>
> Now let's turn our attention to your problem, shich is glib2 and you list
>
> glib2-2.2.3-21
>
> There is nod -devel version. Because you are trying to compile/build syslog-ng you require the -devel version.
>
> So, you need to install the package glib2-devel
> Depending on your OS, you may use up2date, yum, apt or whatever package management system you have.
>
> Once you have the glib2-devel installed you will get the .pc (package configuration) file that syslog-ng uses during the
> build process.
>
> I hope this is more clear.
>
> Evan.

Hi guys,
here the happy end (hopefully) of my sad story.

After compiling, installing and trying syslog-ng 1.6.12 I discovered the
lack of support for file() source driver:
(https://lists.balabit.hu/pipermail/syslog-ng/2007-October/010791.html)

Back again to 2.0.5 version... It has been difficult to install
glib2-devel and pkgconfig on a Suse 9.0 because of missing CD-rom (not
my fault I promise.. :). In the end I found them here:
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/discontinued/i386/9.0/suse/i586/glib2-devel-2.2.3-27.i586.rpm
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/discontinued/i386/9.0/suse/i586/pkgconfig-0.15.0-108.i586.rpm

Installed glib2-devel-2.2.3-27.i586.rpm and pkgconfig-0.15.0-108.i586.rpm,
configured and compiled eventlog,
created eventlog rpm with checkinstall,
configured (with '--enable-static-linking') and compiled syslog-ng,
created syslog-ng rpm with checkinstall.
Copied eventlog and syslog-ng rpm on machine with Suse 8.0 (the one with
glib < 2.2) and ... It works!!!

Thanks to:
Alexander Clouter (the guru with cold ;)
Bazsi (the great inventor)
Matt Zagrabelny
Sandor Geller
Evan Rempel

You are all great, for your patience and your skills.

Regards
Raffaele