[syslog-ng] glibc 2.0.6

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Tue Oct 23 17:53:44 CEST 2007

Raffaele wrote:
> Geller, Sandor (IT) wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>> web1:~/syslog-ng/syslog-ng-2.0.5+20071018 # rpm -qa | grep glib
>>> glib-1.2.10-482
>>> glibc-locale-2.3.2-87
>>> glibc-2.3.2-88
>>> glibc-info-2.3.2-87
>>> glibc-devel-2.3.2-87
>>> glib2-2.2.3-21
>>>
>>> It seems to me that glibc is the right version, but the file
>>> /usr/lib/pkgconfig/glib-2.0.pc (or similar) is missing and
>>> the configure
>>> try to look for that file. Am I right? Is there any
>>> workaround to that?
>> glib != glibc. Install the glib2-devel package and pkgconfig as it
>> seems your system doesn't have these.
>
> Sorry guys, I'm the least skillful here :(
> I'm trying with 1.6.12 version to see if it's easier.

I think that you will find it more difficult to use version 1.6.x. Also, the 2.x series
is the only one that will continue to be developed.

Let's see if I can add a little less "skilled" instruction.

First, lets look at glibc where you have listed

glibc-2.3.2-88
glibc-devel-2.3.2-87

There are two with the same version of 2.3.2 (the -xx is a packaging revision number).

The first is the runable component that is used by applicaton when you run then.
The second (the -devel) is needed only if you are compiling/building applications that use glibc.

Now let's turn our attention to your problem, shich is glib2 and you list

glib2-2.2.3-21

There is nod -devel version. Because you are trying to compile/build syslog-ng you require the -devel version.

So, you need to install the package glib2-devel
Depending on your OS, you may use up2date, yum, apt or whatever package management system you have.

Once you have the glib2-devel installed you will get the .pc (package configuration) file that syslog-ng uses during the
build process.

I hope this is more clear.

Evan.