[syslog-ng] IPv6 Link local address use with syslog-ng

Philip Bellino pbellino at mrv.com
Tue Nov 20 19:13:50 CET 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu [mailto:syslog-ng-bounces at lists.balabit.hu] On Behalf Of Simon Arlott
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 12:41 PM
To: Syslog-ng users' and developers' mailing list
Subject: Re: [syslog-ng] IPv6 Link local address use with syslog-ng

On 20/11/07 13:41, Philip Bellino wrote:
> Bazsi,
> You are correct in that the Link Local address is only valid on the
> local Lan and it is not routable.

Link local addresses are only valid on, and unique to, one link which is why the link has to be specified using the scope id.

> I believe the theory behind link local addresses was to have basic
> native IPv6 connectivity right out of the box without any user
> configuration.

This sounds like nonsense to me...

Simon,
Please read the book "Top Down Design" by Priscilla Oppenheimer.
Page 207 reads
"A link local address serves as a method for connecting devices on the same local network without the need for site-local or globally unique addresses."

Of course, we all know that site-local addresses have been deprecated and that the way to get global addresses is through configuration commands or the use of a "radvd" server.

My Linux Redhat 2.6.22.9 box boots up with the link local address present without any extra user configuration.
My FreeBSD 5.4 and 6.2 boxes boots up with the link local address present without any extra user configuration.
My Windows XP PC boots up with the link local address present without any extra user configuration.
My Solaris 8 and 9 systems boots up with the link local address present without any extra user configuration.

This is why I wrote the "nonsense".
Phil

> Please note that the scope_id is not needed for Link Global IPv6
> addresses.

However it may be useful to allow setting it anyway.

--
Simon Arlott