[syslog-ng] pull logs from remote hosts with syslog-ng?

Matt Cuttler mcuttler at bnl.gov
Wed Nov 14 04:39:58 CET 2007

Jon Sabo wrote:
> Why would stunnel be involved?  I don't need to secure the
> communication across the link.
Not for encryption, in your case, but to have your centralized collector
initiate the connection to your remote hosts.

I'm assuming that you've got some packet filtering, firewalls etc. in
place, presumably something that keeps state? This is why I mention stunnel.

> So can you configure syslog-ng to pull logs?

Not to my knowledge, unless perhaps you had some distributed filesystem.
But of course that'd be another work-around (like stunnel). You might
want to look at all the "sources" section of the administrators manual
in case I missed something (very possible).

-Matt Cuttler