[syslog-ng] map "mark.info" in syslog.conf to syslog-ng.conf

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Mar 19 15:35:36 CET 2007

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:37:06 BST, Balazs Scheidler said:

> I don't know what the 'mark' facility is for, in fact I've never seen it
> referenced.

It's a pseudo-facility in the old syslog code, for routing the output of
the '-m' flag:

       -m interval
              The syslogd logs a mark timestamp regularly.  The default inter-
              val between two -- MARK -- lines is 20  minutes.   This  can  be
              changed with this option.  Setting the interval to zero turns it
              off entirely.

So if you coded 'mark.debug  /var/log/messages' and '-m 5', every 5 minutes
you'd get a --MARK-- line in /var/log/messages.  Pretty handy for low-activity
systems, so you can tell the difference between "system idle and not generating
log activy for 6 1/2 hours" and "system too wedged to syslog anything for 6 1/2
hours".