[syslog-ng] Re: syslog-ng.1.6.11

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Fri Mar 2 14:19:30 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 16:43 +0000, Michael, Desiree wrote:

> I am installing syslog-ng on Solaris 9, and have downloaded it, and
> libol, from the sunfreeware site, and have run a pkgadd to install
> both. On advice from my colleague, I did not follow the INSTALL
> instructions in /usr/local/doc/syslogng/INSTALL, because it did look
> as though it had already been compiled. Is it correct that I think I
> should end up with
>

> 1)       /usr/local/sbin/syslog-ng
>
> 2)       /etc/init.d/syslog-ng
>
> 3)       /etc/syslog-ng/syslog.conf
>

> BUG 1: I only have the first file in place. The others need to be
> renamed and moved out of some subdirectories. Is there any reason why
> the pkgadd could not move each of the files into place? (And any
> others I need, as I am left only guessing what I need to do to install
> it.)
>

> BUG 2: The file /usr/local/doc/syslogng/solbuild/syslog-ng.init.d,
> assuming this is the one to go in /etc/init.d, contains the following
> lines which I think need editing, because we don’t
> have /opt/syslog-ng.
>

> DAEMON=/opt/syslog-ng/sbin/syslog-ng
>
> CONFFILE=/opt/syslog-ng/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf
>

> I do not mind doing this manually, but it seems unusual nowadays to
> have to do this sort of modifying, as pkgadd usually does this. This
> makes me wonder if there is a reason, for example, that I have missed
> something?

The sunfreeware packages are not maintained by BalaBit, please contact
their maintainer. OTOH our Solaris packages do not perform init script
installations either, as:

1) to replace syslogd on the system, you need a script that removes the
stock syslogd configuration, this can be difficult as syslogd is not a
separate package on Solaris, and it is tied into the base system.
2) once you add a postinstall script, the package cannot be installed
automatically, as pkgadd will request some answers by the administrator
who performs the installation from its console

These might be the same reasons why the sfw packages don't add the init
script, however I have no information about that.