[syslog-ng] ? Message encryption

Alexander Clouter ac56 at soas.ac.uk
Thu Mar 1 13:54:47 CET 2007

Hi,

Andy <aryzhov at spasu.net> [20070301 13:20:09 +0100]:

> Hello sysloggers,
>
> Forgive my ignorance and lack of mailing list experience -
> I failed to figure out how to dig for information in the
> archives, and could find nothing in the docs.
>
> Please give some links to the archive search, or to archive
> FAQ, if any exist.
>
> I am responsible for monitoring and audit log collection
> in a very sensitive project. No cleartext communication
> is allowed between any nodes. Log collection server
> will be a Solaris based cluster (Veritas or SC
> or homegrown failover/loadalancing method)

Use IPSec to secure your communications from client to server where possible.

> Under certain circumstances, tunnelling the traffic may
> introduce more than prevent vulnerabilities, specifically,
> by hiding the traffic from firewals and local packet filters.
>
> Therefore, an ideal solution for syslog so far looks like
> numbering and encrypting/signing each individual syslog message
> (obviously, on the fly, to prevent local tampering), and
> broadcast it to the syslog subnet for stealth pickup by both
> nodes of the syslog cluster.

A lot of operating systems support IPSec which is something that can operate
without syslog-ng being aware that its taking place.

> Is it something that can be acieved using syslog-ng, or the
> effort of building the relevant extentions for syslog-ng and to
> a vanilla Solaris syslog is equal?

Its not so much "can syslog-ng support this ever" (which it does not) but
really a case of if your syslog sources can.

Cheers

Alex