[syslog-ng] ? Message encryption

Andy aryzhov at spasu.net
Thu Mar 1 13:20:09 CET 2007

Hello sysloggers,

Forgive my ignorance and lack of mailing list experience -
I failed to figure out how to dig for information in the
archives, and could find nothing in the docs.

Please give some links to the archive search, or to archive
FAQ, if any exist.

I am responsible for monitoring and audit log collection
in a very sensitive project. No cleartext communication
is allowed between any nodes. Log collection server
will be a Solaris based cluster (Veritas or SC
or homegrown failover/loadalancing method)

Under certain circumstances, tunnelling the traffic may
introduce more than prevent vulnerabilities, specifically,
by hiding the traffic from firewals and local packet filters.

Therefore, an ideal solution for syslog so far looks like
numbering and encrypting/signing each individual syslog message
(obviously, on the fly, to prevent local tampering), and
broadcast it to the syslog subnet for stealth pickup by both
nodes of the syslog cluster.

Is it something that can be acieved using syslog-ng, or the
effort of building the relevant extentions for syslog-ng and to
a vanilla Solaris syslog is equal?

Many thanks in advance for any pointers, hints and suggestions
Regards,
Andrei