[syslog-ng] syslog-ng not start

Geller, Sandor (IT) Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com
Wed Jul 18 08:38:55 CEST 2007

> Am Dienstag, den 17.07.2007, 16:19 -0400 schrieb
> Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu:
> > On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:52:26 +0200, patrick simon said:
> >
> > > I recreate them as K... ones now, and syslog-ng give me
> the same Error
> > > Message. I tried to stop them with rcconf, it say they will be not
> > > started, but syslog-ng can't start
>
> I think I do something wrong here, what is the command to recreate the
> entries with updaterc.d ? But I removed the old syslog daemon with
> "apt-get remove". I think that is not the Problem, or is it?

syslog-ng should conflict with sysklogd, so the problem might lie
elsewhere
(maybe in another vserver, or outside of the vservers).

I recommended using update-rc.d as a general solution for making
installed
daemons not to start automatically. The command should look like:

update-rc.d foo stop 20 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 .

if it complains about existing symlinks then you should run
'update-rc.d -f foo remove' and run it again

> > Umm.. I may be blind, but renaming all those Sfoo to Kfoo
> startup scripts
> > just prevents it from starting *next* time.  But I don't
> see where you actually
> > stopped the *currently* running copy (under Redhat/Fedora,
> you'd want something
> > like 'service syslogd stop' or similar).
> >
> > If you do a 'ps ax| grep syslog', do you find one?
>

> No, I only find the grep process ( 19863 pts/5    S+     0:00 grep
> syslog )
>
> But I can do "/etc/init.d/sysklogd stop without an error message, but
> when i do this, syslog-ng don't start too.
>
> I reinstalled the package a few moments ago, but this don't have any
> effect.

Have you removed /proc/kmsg from your config? If I remember correctly
then
you are running syslog-ng in a vserver. If /proc is mounted in the
vserver,
and another syslogd/ syslog-ng process is reading /proc/kmsg in other
vservers or outside of the vservers, then you can't read /proc/kmsg.
Basically only one program can/should read /proc/kmsg.

I recommend using the ps from the util-vserver, which is called vps to
see
every running process of the system. Obviously vps should run outside of
the vservers to be able to show every context.

Regards,

Sandor