[syslog-ng] syslog-ng not start

Geller, Sandor (IT) Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com
Tue Jul 17 15:56:02 CEST 2007

Hi,

> Hello list,
>
> I got a problem with starting syslog-ng on my Debian Etch Vserver.
> When I try to start it, it give me the following Error-Message:
>
> lutz at 31:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/syslog-ng start
> Password:
> Starting system logging: syslog-ngError opening file for reading;
> filename='/proc/kmsg', error='Operation not permitted (1)'
> Error initializing source driver; source='s_all'
> start failed.
>
> I checked the file-permissions from /proc/kmsg:
>
> lutz at 31:~$ ls -al /proc | grep kmsg
> -r--------   1 root   root           0 May  8 18:08 kmsg

There is the chance that another syslog daemon already opened the file,
so simply remove this from your syslog-ng config. /proc/kmsg should be
read by only one syslog daemon at a time.

> the old syslog daemon i stopped by renaming in /etc/rc2.d - /etc/rc5.d

stopped by renaming? Sounds problematic, stop it explicitly, and make
sure it
won't get restarted. Renaming/ removing symlinks under /etc/rc*.d on
Debian is
strongly discouraged. use update-rc.d for this task, first remove the
existing
links, and then recreate them as K... ones. Otherwise the next package
upgrade
might reenable the daemon.

Regards,

Sandor