[syslog-ng] syslog-ng not start

patrick simon pa.simon at gmx.net
Tue Jul 17 15:47:50 CEST 2007

Hello list,

I got a problem with starting syslog-ng on my Debian Etch Vserver.
When I try to start it, it give me the following Error-Message:

lutz at 31:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/syslog-ng start
Password:
Starting system logging: syslog-ngError opening file for reading;
filename='/proc/kmsg', error='Operation not permitted (1)'
Error initializing source driver; source='s_all'
start failed.

I checked the file-permissions from /proc/kmsg:

lutz at 31:~$ ls -al /proc | grep kmsg
-r--------   1 root   root           0 May  8 18:08 kmsg

I installed syslog-ng with apt-get install syslog-ng, but I couldn't
start it correctly, yet.

I posted my config here: http://nopaste.com/p/aVl1HOXXj It is the
Standard syslog-ng config

the old syslog daemon i stopped by renaming in /etc/rc2.d - /etc/rc5.d

I ask Google now for 2 Days, but I can't locate the Problem
I hope you can help me ?

sorry, my English is not the best

thanks,
Patrick