[syslog-ng] why /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages etc

Jim Hendrick jrhendri at maine.rr.com
Sat Jan 6 04:14:30 CET 2007

Mostly it is historical coupled with the limitations of the standard syslog.

It can only differentiate by facility, with the priority settings only
governing what the lowest level message that is captured (for all practical
purposes anyway).

With these limitations, it became useful to separate some of the files due
to the volume of data produced.

However, when using syslog-ng *please* do not try to emulate the vendor
scheme. You can (and should) do much better.

Hope this helps.

Jim