[syslog-ng] why /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages etc

Zoilo Gomez zoilo at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 5 15:31:02 CET 2007

I would be interested in a link to a document, explaining what is the
idea behind log-files like /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages etc,
and why some information is often being written to 2 or more files
instead of 1.

And why some distros will log DHCP-messages to /var/log/daemon.log,
while others will use a different log file.

Of course I know that this is all up to myself to decide, but I would
like to understand better what is the reasoning behind the various options.

Z.