[syslog-ng] How to convert syslog-ng logs into xml format

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Sun Feb 11 17:29:34 CET 2007

One of the chalenges you will face with XML and syslog is that XML can not be validated until
all of the input has been XML parsed. If you have a 1GB XML file, your XML parser will probably
read the entire thing into RAM. Perhaps that works for you, but with our 4GB log file, the XML
parsing and internal data storage overhead, this could easily consume 8GB of RAM.

When you indicate that you need to put this on the WEB, you will find that XML of large data
will bring your web server to its knees. Parsing through 1GB of data to return a line or two
will be very CPU intensive, and on a clickable (web) setup, this will be repeated often.

I also think you someone at your site has a fever, and I hope they seek some prfessional
advice rather than self-diagnosing the issue :-)

Evan.