[syslog-ng] Message aggregation: or, 'Last message repeated umpteen times'.

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Tue Aug 28 15:28:42 CEST 2007

Hi there,

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 12:33:17 +0200  Balazs Scheidler wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 07:02:19PM -0400, Kevin Welch wrote:
> > I know this issue has been discussed before, but I never saw an answer other
> > than 'syslog-ng doesnt do that'.
> >
> > Perhaps someone could provide insight as to why syslog-ng doesnt aggregate
> > messages received?  Is this on a feature list for future releases?
>
> It might be implemented once I have time, though IMHO message aggregation
> makes log analysis more difficult, especially if you have multiple cascaded
> log relays.

Balazs, I read the manpage, Googled and grepped the source and I
believe I know the answer, but I'd like to have your confirmation.

Is it still the case that syslog-ng does no message aggregation?  (I'm
not asking because I want it.  I'm asking because I _don't_ want it. :)

--

73,
Ged.

PS: I also found this about not aggregating messages if the output is a pipe

http://lists.hellug.gr/pipermail/linux-greek-users/2007-April/068169.html