[syslog-ng] forwarding to server

Chris Harner chris.harner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 14:49:57 CEST 2007

Hi, Sandor.  Thanks for the reply.
I have to configure syslog-ng to forward the logs to the Cacti server.  Both
firewalls are not enabled.  They OSs are OpenSUSE 10.1.

Here is the section of the conf file I think you are referring to:
#source my_src { .... };
#
source src {
    #
    # include internal syslog-ng messages
    # note: the internal() soure is required!
    #
    internal();

    #
    # the following line will be replaced by the
    # socket list generated by SuSEconfig using
    # variables from /etc/sysconfig/syslog:
    #
    unix-dgram("/dev/log");

    #
    # uncomment to process log messages from network:
    #
    udp(ip("192.168.x.x") port(514));
};

Basically, Whenever I put the IP of the Cacti server in there and restart
the syslog service, I get this:
==============
chpas-chngmgt2:~ # /etc/init.d/syslog restart
Shutting down syslog services                                        done
Starting syslog servicesio.c: bind_inet_socket() bind failed 192.168.x.x:514
Cannot assign requested address
Error initializing configuration, exiting.
startproc:  exit status of parent of /sbin/syslog-ng: 1
                                                                     failed
==============
Obviously, I replace 192.168.x.x with the actual IP.  I'm not using syslogd,
however some older servers are.  What am I doing wrong?

On 8/28/07, Geller, Sandor (IT) <Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > Hello everyone!
> > I have a Cacti Server with the Haloe plugin installed.  I can
> > get my Windows boxes to talk to the Haloe plugin (syslogs).
> > I have two old servers (running SLES 9 I think) with syslogd
> > installed, reporting in just fine!  Here is my issue - I
> > can't figure out how to pipe or forward the data from the box
> > to the syslogs server (Cacti).  For those of you who do not
> > know, Cacti is a network monitoring tool/RRDtool front end
> > with a ton of available plugins.  Haloe is a centralized
> > syslog server.
>
> First, welcome to the syslog-ng mailing list!
>
> Could you tell about your issue, how is it related to syslog-ng?
>
> If you're trying to forward syslogd messages to remote hosts
> then use @remotehost in syslogd.conf. If you want to forward
> messages using syslog-ng then use either the tcp() or the udp()
> destination drivers in syslog-ng.conf.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sandor

Chris Harner  []  Server Engineer  []  Arnold Transportation Services