[syslog-ng] syslog-ng dumps core on SLES i586

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu Apr 19 12:36:03 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 09:40 +0530, Matthur, Ananda (STSD) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>   I am trying to use syslog-ng (default on SLES) on a SLES 10 i586
> machine. When I try to execute a
>
>   kill –s HUP ‘pid-of-syslog-ng’,
>
>  it is crashing, dumping core. Gdb shows the following info:
>

> sgmlx1:/ # ls
>
> 1    boot  core  etc   lib    mnt  proc  sbin  subdomain  test  usr
>
> bin  clog  dev   home  media  opt  root  srv   sys        tmp   var
>
> sgmlx1:/ # gdb /sbin/syslog-ng core
>
> GNU gdb 6.4

> GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and
> you are
>
> welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
> conditions.

> There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for
> details.
>
> This GDB was configured as "i586-suse-linux"...(no debugging symbols
> found)
>
> Using host libthread_db library "/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
>

> (no debugging symbols found)
>
> Core was generated by `/sbin/syslog-ng'.

> warning: Can't read pathname for load map: Input/output error.
>
> (no debugging symbols found)
>
> Loaded symbols for /sbin/syslog-ng
>
> Reading symbols from /lib/libnsl.so.1...(no debugging symbols
> found)...done.
>
> Loaded symbols for /lib/libnsl.so.1
>
> Reading symbols from /lib/libresolv.so.2...(no debugging symbols
> found)...done.
>
> Loaded symbols for /lib/libresolv.so.2
>
> Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.6...(no debugging symbols
> found)...done.
>
> Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.6
>
> Reading symbols from /lib/ld-linux.so.2...
>
> (no debugging symbols found)...done.
>
> Loaded symbols for /lib/ld-linux.so.2
>
> #0  0x8000f9a6 in do_handle_afinet_dest () from /sbin/syslog-ng
>
> (gdb)
>

> Looks like it is doing some invalid operation to cause segmentation
> fault. I tested the same scenario
>
>  on both ia64 and x86_64 architectures. Segmentation fault occurs only
> on i586. Is this a known bug
>
> in syslog-ng? Is a patch available for this?

You did not include syslog-ng version information (syslog-ng & libol),
but I don't really remember anything like this. Debug information would
provide way more useful information. (compile syslog-ng and libol with
--enable-debug, produce the core file and post the more detailed
backtrace).

Although I'm still willing to fix issues in the 1.6.x tree if a critical
bugs shows up, the use of the new 2.0.x branch is more preferred.