[syslog-ng] klogd back for syslog-ng-2.x ?

Geller, Sandor (IT) Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com
Thu Apr 19 11:23:15 CEST 2007

> Guys
> I haven't touched syslog-ng since I last installed 1.6  2
> years ago on RHEL4.
> I'm trying to upgrade to 2.x and I noticed that the init
> script for RH you provided in the contrib dir
> actually starts up syslon-ng and klogd. I thought syslog-ng
> was a total replacement for syslog including klodg ?

This might be some kind of overlooking on your part: there is the
contrib/rhel-packaging directory which contains a much newer init
script than the old, deprecated one just under contrib.

I suggest using contrib/rhel-packaging. If you want to build your
own RPMs you can use syslog-ng.spec.bb which resides in the top
directory, this spec file use the proper files.

> I checked the older script I have for version 1.6 and sure
> enough it doesn't start klogd. I'm confused now as to
> whether I've been running this the wrong way or if you simply
> rewrote syslog-ng to rely on klogd again.
>
> Can anyone elaborate ?

I think I've answered this as well :)

Regards,

Sandor