[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 2 and bandwidth limiting

Jim Hendrick jrhendri at maine.rr.com
Fri Apr 6 12:11:29 CEST 2007

Thanks for the response. I am not familiar enough with the overall
architecture to know where to look to implement something like this (nor
have I written any significant code in several years).

Does the message flow create a separate network connection for each
'destination' or would it be at the 'log' level?

Does it maintain a separate buffer (queue) at the destination level or log
level?

I was thinking that one feature that would probably make this more useful
would be an internal (or local) alert message related to bandwidth.
Something like if the bandwidth exceeds the cap for a given destination send
an alert message (once per time interval).

That way you would know (downstream) that log messages were (possibly) being
lost, or at least that a bandwidth condition had been reached.

Thoughts?

And thanks again for the reply!

Jim