[syslog-ng] syslog-ng Premium Edition

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Tue Apr 3 12:32:42 CEST 2007

Dear syslog-ng users,

As some of you might already know from my blog, BalaBit has started
working on a commercial fork of syslog-ng, named "syslog-ng Premium
Edition". While the number of differences between the current premium
and open source versions is marginal, it is expected to grow over time.

We are planning to use dual-licensing:
 * the free edition will be available under the GPL, just as it's been
in the past,
 * the commercial edition will be covered by a conventional, commercial
license

The two editions will be released from the same source tree, ensuring
that non-differentiating changes will become part of both the free and
commercial versions.

I hope the syslog-ng community finds this change acceptable in the
direction of syslog-ng, as it will result in more choices and a better
syslog-ng.

I - as the author of syslog-ng - personally think that this change will
make it possible to allocate more resources to syslog-ng itself which
will also benefit the users of the free edition of syslog-ng.

This change is going to trigger some changes as the current syslog-ng
development infrastructure goes:
 * this mailing list remains The list of the open source version of
syslog-ng, apart from this single time posting BalaBit does not plan to
use it as a "marketing" resource.
 * the syslog-ng-announce mailing list will become a more "traditional"
product announcement mailing list for all editions of syslog-ng, so
commercial announcements will be sent there too.
 * the website will be restructured in the near-future to include a spot
for both editions, a separate page for syslog-ng open source edition
will remain active though

I think those are about the things that I wanted to inform you in
advance. We'll see how things work out.

If you have questions, please feel free to ask, either on the mailing
list, or by sending a personal email to me.