[syslog-ng] syslog-ng-2.0rc2 terminates if network connection is down

Bruce Penrod bmpenrod at endruntechnologies.com
Fri Sep 22 02:45:57 CEST 2006

I don't think this is the way it should work...
If I have a destination configured over a network path, say udp, and the
ethernet device is misconfigured, or deliberately not configured,
syslog-ng terminates immediate after start-up with these messages to the
console:

syslog-ng Connection failed; error='Network is unreachable (101)',
reconnect='60'

This happens even though other destinations are configured as well, like
the local log files.  Unfortunately, it doesn't manage to log this
termination message in these local logs before it stops.

I would think that the inability to reach any of the destinations, local
or remote, would not cause the logger to die, if there is still some
place it can log.

--
Bruce Penrod