[syslog-ng] Need Information on installing syslog-ng on Solaris 10

Swenson, Jim jrs40 at psu.edu
Mon Sep 11 20:55:04 CEST 2006

Hello.

I am trying to find information on how to install syslog-ng on Solaris 10.

I have been able to build syslog-ng 2.0rc1 from scratch and am now in the
process of attempting to replace the Solaris syslog system with the
syslog-ng I have built.

The instructions for installing syslog-ng on Solaris 8 and Solaris 9 do not
suffice since some of the files mentioned in these documents do not exist on
Solaris 10 (specifically the start-up script for syslog).

I have seen some mention in the archives of some people who have solved this
Problem, but since the archives do not seem to have a search function, I
cannot find the beginning of the threads so I can piece together what I ned
to do.

Also I am not a Solaris SysAdmin, although I have access to one.

I have to build and deploy syslog-ng from source since if syslog-ng
generates RFC3164 syslog message that cam be forwarded to a centralized
syslog server, I will have to deploy it on machines running various flavors
of Solaris (8 and 9), Linux, and FreeBSD.

I thank you in advance for the help.

James R. Swenson
Information Technology Services
The Pennsylvania State University