[syslog-ng] runaway programs started by syslog-ng

Dev Man softwaremeister at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 21:37:45 CEST 2006

Hi Bazsi,

How would having that switch help?
The problem is we do want it to automatically restart.  It just appears that
there are some scenarios which we haven't figure out.. in which the program
gets restarted repeatedly leaving apparently multiple instances running.

How do you determine when to restart?

Thanks!

On Fri, 2006-10-27 at 10:59 -0700, Dev Man wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have experienced cases of syslog-ng apparently launching multiple
> instances of the same program unexpectedly, causing the machine to
> become unusable.  Some of the launched processes can end up defunct,
> but not all appeared to be when we checked the running processes.
>
> Isn't syslog-ng only supposed to start a program if it was terminated?
>
> In one case, we were seeing a constant stream of "duplicate stats
> counter" messages like:
> syslog.1:Oct 26 06:27:10 in-mta syslog-ng[29833]: Duplicate stats
> counter; counter='program(/home/readlog/readlog.php)'
>
> One machine was using syslog-ng version 1.9.11 and another version
> 2.0rc1.
2.0.x (and 1.9.x which was development versions for 2.0) restart
program() destinations by default. I'll add a switch to disable that
behaviour as it is hardwired at the moment.