[syslog-ng] logging by hostname

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Wed Oct 11 17:54:33 CEST 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 01:47:58PM +0200, Istvan Szukacs wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I would like to log several computer which are behind nat. The problem
> is i cannot find the right metod to log by the hostname not by the ip
> reverse name from where the packets come.
>
> But i got this:
>
> Oct  1 02:34:27 external ip/external ip
>
> Is there a possibility to devide the logs by the original hostname?

Most syslog implementations don't send the hostname in the syslog
message over the network.

 http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/syslog.html#problems

If you have syslog-ng on the clients behind the NAT gateway, set
keep_hostname(yes) on the central syslog server.

 http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html#hostname

--
Nate

"Let us endeavour to live that when we come to die even the undertaker
will be sorry." - Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar(1894) - Samuel Clemens