[syslog-ng] Re: logs written twice

G.W. Haywood ged at jubileegroup.co.uk
Thu Nov 2 12:23:23 CET 2006

Hi there,

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006 Nick Baronian wrote:

> > > Is there a way I can duplicate the name schema the remote box is using
> >
> > I don't know exactly what you mean by that, and I do't think I'd know
> > the answer if I did. :)
>
> What I mean is if I have two boxes I want to log to this syslog-ng
> server, one is an old Unix box that is logging *.info;mail.none
> locally to /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log and the other is a RH Linux box
> that logs *.info;mail.none locally to /var/log/messages is there a way
> the remote syslog-ng server can be configured to write the
> *.info;mail.none for the Linux box to a messages file and for logs it
> receives from the Unix box to a syslog.log file?

That should be no problem at all, but I think you're going to have to
knuckle down and read the documentation.  You'd tell the two boxes to
log to the logging server and create a few rules on the logging server
which log to different places depending on which of the two boxes sent
the log message.  If I were doing it, I'd have the two boxes decide
what to log and the logging server decide only where (which file) to
log it in.  Otherwise you might create a lot of network traffic which
contained information that would be discarded by the logging server.

You seem to attach some significance to the names of these logfiles.
Is there a reason for that?

--

73,
Ged.