[syslog-ng] syslog-ng + database performance

Arya, Manish Kumar m.arya at yahoo.com
Sun May 14 03:01:53 CEST 2006

Hi Guys,

    Thanks for your valuable suggestions for syslog-ng
UI.

    I have seen that most of the UIs are avialable
with databases.
    I have syslog-ng+oracle setup too. but I am not
happy with performance.
    we have a central log server with 3000G SAN and 15
GB RAM. and 20,000 devices are suppose to pump logs
24x7 :)
    with oracle we faced two serious issues, thats why
i also started pumping logs in files along with db.

-inserts, i have using named pipe to insert logs in
db, but oracle somehow drops inserts, becuase "rate of
arival of events" is much larger than "rate of insert
operations". I have noticed that there is about 80-90%
event drops in db.

-select, when we search logs, it was really really bad
performance it took too long to give results. but then
we did indexing on hostname and partitioned table on
time (new range partition is created after every 6
hrs)
This improved system performance to some extent.

can you guys suggest me if mysql or postgre will be
better to overcome above to problems (but remember our
db is huge :), so I am not sure if mysql or postgre is
able to handle such big db)

Regards,
-Manish