[syslog-ng] syslog-ng GUI

Jon Stearley jrstear at sandia.gov
Thu May 11 21:12:46 CEST 2006

On May 11, 2006, at 12:09 PM, Ken Garland wrote:

>> file("/logs/log01/indexlog/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY/$HOST"
>> -should be able to to parallel search to improve
>> search response time.

If you decide to go with SQL and have $$, netezza.com will almost
certainly overcome your speed issues (parallel harware sql!).  Having
gotten utterly bogged down with Mysql on Linux (stripes, chunks, huge
indexes), I just went back to files because they are simple and
sufficient for my purposes.

> if you are splitting all logs up into subdirs like that you will
> have quite a fun time doing any parsing.

If dirs/logs are arranged according to the factors used for subset
selection (year/month/day/host) and the dirs/logs are listed in a
(periodically updated) file (eg "corpus.docs" in sisyphus), subset
selection can be done by simply grepping the file and concatenating
the resulting dirs/logs.  This is one implementation option
underlying the clog.man page I sent earlier.  Further subset
selection by facility and priority could then be done by grepping the
resulting log content (further dirs/logs splitting by facility/
priority presents multiple bad side effects).  $0.02

-jon