[syslog-ng] Creating a named pipe (FIFO)

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Wed Mar 22 18:21:19 CET 2006

We do the opposite.

We wanted to use the message matching rules of syslog-ng to essentially
rewrite the facility.level (priority) of messages and then log them again.
To accomplish this, we have a "normal" syslog-ng running that listens on
the localhost:514 port that then logs to the local files, and to a central
syslog-ng server.

We then start a second instance of syslog-ng within the startup script for
the applications, such as apache.

- check for and create the named pipe(s)
- start syslong-ng specific to this application
- start the application that logs to the named pipe(s)

This instance of syslog-ng parses the messages and relogs via syslog to
localhost with a new set of priorities.

This allows local syslog files to contain the appriopriate facitliy.level
of messages as well as our central syslog-ng server. It also allows for a
very complicated set of match rules for a given application without making
an overly complicated syslong-ng configuration file. Basically you end up
with one configuration file per application.

This is just our syslog architecture, so your milage may vary.

Evan.

Evan Rempel				erempel at uvic.ca
Senior Programmer Analyst		250.721.7691
Computing Services