[syslog-ng] Solaris syslog-ng tuning

Vincent Haverlant vincent at haverlant.org
Tue Mar 14 10:47:00 CET 2006

Le Mon Mar 13 18:14:24 2006, Balazs Scheidler a écrit:
| On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 22:45 +0100, Vincent Haverlant wrote:
| > Le Tue Mar  7 09:34:23 2006, Cary, Kim a écrit:
|
| > basically: increasing udp_max_buf without increasing udp_recv_hiwat has
| > no meaning. Furthermore, you can increase you socket buffer that way up
| > to 64k (Solaris 8 & 9), if you want to increase it
| > further up you must use the setsockopt call (up to udp_max_buf which
| > has a maximum value of 1GB).
| > Here is the official SUN documentation regarding this:
| > http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-0404/6mg74vsb5?a=view#gbtag
|
| I've increased the priority of the SO_RCVBUF option in my mind and
| probably add a patch soon.

Oh thank you very much. :)

| > Now regarding your packet loss issue. I would increase
| > udp_recv_hiwat -> 65536
| > udp_max_buf -> 1073741824 (you will never get here anyway)
| >
| > Then I would try to play with syslog-ng config: log_fifo_size,
| > log_iw_size and log_fetch_limit.  But here I'd appreciate
| > a syslog-ng expert to step in and tell us what to do more preceisely.
|
| It also depends on which syslog-ng version you are using. 1.9.x is a
| complete replacement and has a different queueing model than 1.6.x so
| tuning is also different.
|
| You can read a short chapter in the documentation for 1.6.x
| http://www.balabit.com/products/syslog-ng/reference-1.6/syslog-ng.html/index.html#tuning
|
| This is however not completely updated for 1.9.x yet. The followings are
| the most important differences:
| * there is no garbage collector, their parameters are ignored
| * syslog-ng supports message flow-control, e.g. messages will not be
| read if they cannot be sent (this requires flow controlled channels like
| TCP on both receiving/sending sides); this makes the application slow
| down instead of losing messages
|
| If you are not using flow control, the recipe is the same:
| * make sure your input socket buffer _AND_ your output queue size
| (log_fifo_size) is able to hold your potential message bursts

I'm using 1.9.9 after observing the same issue on 1.6.x. and I have
indeed played with log_iw_size, log_fetch_limit and log_fifo_size and
set them up to be able to handle 100 messages for each host at the same
time. I also did read the code relating to the flow_control mechanism
but never got any "dropped" messages in syslog-ng statistics. And however
I increased the internal buffers I still lost information until I increased
the socket buffer as described in my previous email.

But still, thanks for this clarification.

Vincent.
--
   .~.     Vincent Haverlant  -- Galadril -- #ICQ: 35695155
   /V\      MSN: vincent_msn at haverlant.org  -- http://www.haverlant.org/