[syslog-ng] Solaris syslog-ng tuning

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Mon Mar 13 18:14:24 CET 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 22:45 +0100, Vincent Haverlant wrote:
> Le Tue Mar  7 09:34:23 2006, Cary, Kim a écrit:

> basically: increasing udp_max_buf without increasing udp_recv_hiwat has
> no meaning. Furthermore, you can increase you socket buffer that way up
> to 64k (Solaris 8 & 9), if you want to increase it
> further up you must use the setsockopt call (up to udp_max_buf which
> has a maximum value of 1GB).
> Here is the official SUN documentation regarding this:
> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-0404/6mg74vsb5?a=view#gbtag

I've increased the priority of the SO_RCVBUF option in my mind and
probably add a patch soon.

> Now regarding your packet loss issue. I would increase
> udp_recv_hiwat -> 65536
> udp_max_buf -> 1073741824 (you will never get here anyway)
>
> Then I would try to play with syslog-ng config: log_fifo_size,
> log_iw_size and log_fetch_limit.  But here I'd appreciate
> a syslog-ng expert to step in and tell us what to do more preceisely.

It also depends on which syslog-ng version you are using. 1.9.x is a
complete replacement and has a different queueing model than 1.6.x so
tuning is also different.

You can read a short chapter in the documentation for 1.6.x
http://www.balabit.com/products/syslog-ng/reference-1.6/syslog-ng.html/index.html#tuning

This is however not completely updated for 1.9.x yet. The followings are
the most important differences:
* there is no garbage collector, their parameters are ignored
* syslog-ng supports message flow-control, e.g. messages will not be
read if they cannot be sent (this requires flow controlled channels like
TCP on both receiving/sending sides); this makes the application slow
down instead of losing messages

If you are not using flow control, the recipe is the same:
* make sure your input socket buffer _AND_ your output queue size
(log_fifo_size) is able to hold your potential message bursts