[syslog-ng] Message loss: update 1

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Mon Mar 13 17:56:59 CET 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 11:27 +0100, Vincent Haverlant wrote:

> I still have one problem though: why didn't the packet show up in
> udpInOverflow when they should have ? I'll keep you updated when I find
> out. Also I'll try to provide a patch for the setsockop stuff but not
> being a good developper it might be better if one of you official
> syslog-ng team member took it from here.

I would be interested why it did not show up. I'm not using Solaris
regularly, but I would look at the values for these stats values (picked
from the output of netstat -s)

ipInDiscards

Probe that fires whenever an input IP datagram is discarded for reasons
unrelated to the packet (for example, for lack of buffer space). This
probe does not fire for any datagram discarded while awaiting
reassembly.

udpInOverflows

Probe that fires whenever a UDP datagram is received, but subsequently
dropped due to lack of buffer space.