[syslog-ng] solaris package

Sandor Geller wildy at balabit.hu
Fri Jul 28 18:19:59 CEST 2006

Joop Boonen wrote:
> Hello Sandor,
>
> Are the spec files in in the decompressed directory for the same perpose.
> Only for Zorp?

Hi,

Well, some of the spec files are in use by BalaBit's build servers,
especially the RHEL3 and RHEL4 ones. Of course you can use these files
as a basis for your own packaging, problem reports and patches are welcome.

Unfortunately the packages aren't a drop-in replacement for the standard
syslogd on RHEL or on Solaris. The users have to modify their syslogd
configuration manually. In the RHEL-specific configuration file parts of
the configuration (which collide with the standard syslogd) are
commented out.

The /opt comes from the Zorp Professional 3.0, every package created by
BalaBit use the /opt prefix on Solaris. Otherwise the Solaris packaging
isn't in a tight correlation with Zorp.

> Wouldn't it be a good idea to create a generic Solaris package? especially
> because no standard syslog-ng packages (sunfreeware for example) with
> spoof-source option enabled.

Well, I can't promise that we will build binary packages. It would be
nice hovewer, when a consensus could be made on the proper configure
options, and several volunteers can create the packages themself.
Several vendors (like Debian, Suse/Novell) support syslog-ng already,
others not.

BalaBit has several Solaris support packages which include the
availability of the binary packages built from the latest sources, but
these support packages aren't free.

> What is the risk to use the solbuild/rules?

Nothing special except the errors I made :)) solbuild/rules instructs
gcc to use the sparc v9 instruction set, so several older sparc
processors aren't supported out of the box (but it is a trivial change
to optimize for other processors).

> The problem is that sun doesn't use a package manager like rpm (spec file
> i.e. srpm). It's quite difficult to build a package with the extra options
> but the same file permissions and locations as the for instance
> sunfreeware one.

As I wrote you can use the files in the solbuild directory. The Solaris
packaging isn't a nice one, but I was in a hurry when I made it, and I
don't like that old packaging method Solaris use - dpkg and rpm are far
better from a packager's point of view - maybe I'm not skilled enough to
create proper Solaris packages :))

Regards,

--
Sandor Geller