[syslog-ng] Bug in syntax checking in 2.0-rc1

Chris Whipple CWhipple at hertz.com
Fri Jul 14 22:12:01 CEST 2006

I must agree. This one's bitten me a time or two as well. I would like to
see the addition of "undefined reference" checking to the -s option, if
possible.

Thank you,

Chris Whipple
Sr. Security Analyst
Unix Security Group
The Hertz Corporation
5601 NW Expressway
Oklahoma City, OK 73132, USA
cwhipple at hertz.com

                                       "Syslog-ng users' and developers'
                                       mailing list"
  "Paul Krizak"                        <syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu>
  <paul.krizak at amd.com>                                                 cc
  Sent by:
  syslog-ng-bounces at lists.bala                                     Subject
  bit.hu                               Re: [syslog-ng] Bug in syntax
                                       checking in 2.0-rc1

  07/14/2006 02:50 PM

  Please respond to
  "Syslog-ng users' and
  developers' mailing list"
  <syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu>

Good points, Valdis.

Guess I was mostly just bitter about having beaten my head on the
problem assuming that the -s switch was doing more than it really did.

However, I'd argue that in this one specific case, i.e. a log statement
referencing a non-existent source, destination, filter, etc. that it
*is* something that -s should check for.  After all, this type of
problem *guarantees* that syslog-ng will not be able to start up if
passed this configuration file.  More specifically, syslog-ng does this
sanity check before starting up.  Why can't it do the same sanity check
when doing a syntax check?

Obviously it's a bit extreme to expect that passing the -s check will
guarantee startup success, but I do think that checking for undefined
references in the config file is an appropriate check for -s to do.

Paul Krizak                         5900 E. Ben White Blvd. MS 625
Advanced Micro Devices              Austin, TX  78741
Linux/Unix Systems Engineering      Phone: (512) 602-8775
Microprocessor Solutions Sector     Cell:  (512) 791-0686

syslog-ng maillist  -  syslog-ng at lists.balabit.hu
Frequently asked questions at http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng/faq.html

---------------
This message (including attachments) may contain information that is
privileged, confidential or protected from disclosure.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that dissemination,
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this message or any
information contained in it is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply
e-mail and delete this message from your computer.  Although we have taken
steps to ensure that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus,
we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient
should ensure they are actually virus free.