[syslog-ng] SuSE 10.0 - Changing permissions on special file /dev/xconsole

George genz1968 at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 27 18:21:37 CET 2006

Hello Nate,

So the warnings in my /var/log/warn or just warnings then.   Nothing is
wrong?  Below is an excerpt from my /etc/syslong-ng/syslong-ng.conf.in
file in SuSE 10.0 .  If I understood correctly, I should just comment
out the below excerpt.  And that will not have any negative affects.
Sorry for my ignorance.  I first started reading about syslog-ng three
days ago.

-------------
#
# Most warning and errors on tty10 and on the xconsole pipe:
#
destination console  { file("/dev/tty10"    group(tty) perm(0620)); };
log { source(src); filter(f_console); destination(console); };

destination xconsole { pipe("/dev/xconsole" group(tty) perm(0400)); };
log { source(src); filter(f_console); destination(xconsole); };
------------

George

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:47:04 -0800, "Nate Campi" <nate at campin.net> said:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 04:05:44PM -0800, George wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am getting the following in my /var/log/warn file at each bootup.
> > What is it about and how do I fix it?
> >
> > Jan 26 06:26:52 dns1 syslog-ng[3430]: Changing permissions on special
> > file /dev/xconsole
> > Jan 26 06:26:52 dns1 syslog-ng[3430]: Changing permissions on special
> > file /dev/tty10
> >
> > I have SuSE 10.0 installed on a IBM X330 (8654-51Y) eserver xseries with
> > a dual Pentium III (x84) and a S3 Savage 4 video card.
>
> You can explicitly set perms on files, syslog-ng sets more restrictive
> perms on file for security reasons - but you usually don't want device
> files changed from their defaults.
>
> Best answer: remove your destination and log clauses that reference the
> xconsole - you almost surely don't use it anyways.
> --
> Nate
>
> "Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea; massive,
> difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of
> mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
>  - Eugene Spafford.

  George
  genz1968 at fastmail.fm