[syslog-ng] SuSE 10.0 - Changing permissions on special file /dev/xconsole

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Fri Jan 27 01:47:04 CET 2006

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 04:05:44PM -0800, George wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am getting the following in my /var/log/warn file at each bootup.
> What is it about and how do I fix it?
>
> Jan 26 06:26:52 dns1 syslog-ng[3430]: Changing permissions on special
> file /dev/xconsole
> Jan 26 06:26:52 dns1 syslog-ng[3430]: Changing permissions on special
> file /dev/tty10
>
> I have SuSE 10.0 installed on a IBM X330 (8654-51Y) eserver xseries with
> a dual Pentium III (x84) and a S3 Savage 4 video card.

You can explicitly set perms on files, syslog-ng sets more restrictive
perms on file for security reasons - but you usually don't want device
files changed from their defaults.

Best answer: remove your destination and log clauses that reference the
xconsole - you almost surely don't use it anyways.
--
Nate

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea; massive,
mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
 - Eugene Spafford.